Pork Fry

This is another one of my mom's wonderful recipes. I don't know which particular cuisine this one falls under, could be Kerala or could be Mangalorean, but I strongly suspect this is one of mom's inventions, we all know how good mom's are at inventing new dishes, as they are at inventing stories... and I'm quite proud to say that in my mom's case, I'm her inspiration for both the inventions. It seems i hated food as a kid and only ate a bit if i was told a new story for each meal and made her invent new stories, coz she ran out of the stories she knew. I can't imagine that, coz I'm such a foodie now. I'm quite sure Amma would never have imagined either, that her daughter who made life so difficult for her to eat every single meal would someday be so keenly writing up a food blog. So you can imagine how Amma turned into the great cook that she is, she kept improvising and getting better and better at cooking, just so that i would eat. So... I'm her inspiration there too.

Anyhow, all i know is that this is one great recipe, and this isn't just my view, anyone who tasted it shares my opinion.

NOTE:
I'm sure lot of us love this delicious meat. I also know lot of u don't too. For those who do, enjoy it, those who don't, please feel free to check out some of the other recipes :) I'm a pure Non-Veggie, and enjoy almost every form of non-veg, but of course, like my Acha (Dad) says "anything that doesn't bite me back"......
So here goes the pork.....

You'll need:
  1. Pork 1kg small cubes
  2. Turmeric 1/2 tsp
  3. Salt to taste
  4. Chilly powder 1tbsp
  5. Ginger 1 large piece, smashed and then chopped up
  6. Garlic 5-10 cloves, crushed
  7. Onion 4, sliced thinly
  8. Green chillies 2-3, split in half (This one's optional if u prefer it to be a lil less hot on the tongue)
  9. Tomatoes 2, small cubes
  10. Meat masala or Chicken masala 2 tbsp (If unavailable, replace with corriander powder, but make sure u roast it to a dark brown color beforehand)
  11. Lots of curry leaves
  12. Pepper powder 1tsp
  13. Sugar 1 tsp (To balance all the flavors)
  14. Vinegar 1/4 tea-cup
  15. Coconut oil 1 tbsp

Preparation:

  • Wash the meat well with water, turmeric and some jaggery, if u have it, else salt would do fine. Jaggery and turmeric removes the raw smell of the pork. Marinate in this mix for about 15 minutes before washing again in water.
  • Once its washed well, marinate the meat in the ingredients 2-10 and some curry leaves.
  • Pressure cook with about 1 or 2 cups water for about 10-12 whistles, pork needs to be cooked well.
  • Heat an 'uruli' (a traditional utensil used widely in Kerala), if u don't have an uruli, a wok would do. Add coconut oil to it, add the curry leaves, add the contens of the cooker.
  • Keep frying this stirring on & off till the gravy dries up and sticks to the meat.
  • Pork fry's ready.
  • Serve hot!
This dish tastes great with almost anything, rice, chapatti, appam, kallappam or Kerala porotta.

No comments:

Post a Comment