Pazhampori/Banana Fritters. One of the many popular evening snacks in Kerala



Nice and ripe plantain slices coated with lightly sweetened white flour batter and deep fried, it just melts in your mouth after each bite… My love for Pazhampori started since the time I could trace back my memory, we had a neighbor, who made Pazhampori every single day, and she would get me a few... every single day. There came a point when I kind of got addicted to it, then mom stepped in and told me I couldn't have em regularly, with the promise that she would make it for me once in a while, she kept her promise, but still, I wasn't too happy about foregoing my daily share of Pazhampori, and was quite sour at that point... it took me a few years from there to put together things like hogging on fried items, putting on weight, the troubles of losing that weight, the health issues and so on and on. I got over the craze gradually, and settled down to rejoicing at the occasions when  Mom made em at home. Later on, when I was on a train journey once, I happened to pass through Palakkad railway station, amongst many other noises around the station, one in particular caught my attention, the monotonous calls of one food vendor, it was none other than the one selling Pazhamporis. Not that you don’t get Pazhampori elsewhere, but I had heard from many that the ones you get at Palakkad railway station are yumm. I had my hubby running for the Pazhampori guy... It is quite good for the store bought standards, but definitely nowhere close to the homemade ones, but I still loved it nevertheless. 

For homemade Pazhampori 

You’ll need…

Ripe plantains – 2; sliced slanted or lengthwise into ½” thick, and about 2-3” long pieces
Maida/All-purpose flour – 1 cup
Rice flour – 2 tbsp.
Sugar – ¼ cup
Cardamom – 1; powdered
Salt - 1 pinch
Egg – 1 (optional)
Baking powder – 1 pinch (Optional)
Water – 1 cup (just enough to make a thick batter)
Oil – for deep frying

Heat the oil in a deep bottomed pan, on a medium flame. While that is getting heated, you can prepare the batter.
In a bowl, mix all the ingredients, except the plantains. Add the water gradually; the batter should be of thick but pourable consistency.
Dip the plantain slices into the batter to coat it well, and immediately drop it into the hot oil, you could fry 4 or 5 at one time, turn them around to fry both the sides, till they turn to a golden color.
Strain out of the oil onto a tissue paper to remove excess oil.  
Serve hot!


8 comments:

  1. wow!! my all time fav!! i would love to eat anytime if given :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agree wid u Neetz.. every mallu must a pazhampori fan i guess.. :D

      Delete
  2. a favourite snack lovely site following you nice to meet you

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello, your have good collection of recipes in your blog.Glad to follow you.Do visit my new blog in your free time.
    http://www.foodydelight.com/

    ReplyDelete