- My mom is very popular for her great culinary skills. I know a lot of moms are, but there are few of my mom's recipes which are so yummy that I feel, no mom can beat her. If you tried out this recipe, you'll agree with me. Here's the recipe for her famous Mutton Stew.
You'll need:Mutton 1kg, with bone; medium piecesOnion 3; slicedGreen chilies 4-5; slit in halfPotatoes 3-4; cubesGinger - about 2"; julienne slicesCoconut milk:1st milk or thick milk 2 cups2nd milk or thin milk 2-3 cups (We would be cooking the meat in this, so take as per the gravy as u require for the stew, but don't make it too loose either, coz that'll end up giving you a very watery stew, which would not be good.)Curry leaves 2 sprigsCinnamon 2" piece; crushed, but not powderedCloves 2 pieces; crushed, but again not powderedStar anise - 1; broken into piecesCoconut oil 2 tbsp.Peppercorns 2 tbsp.; crushed coarselyCurry leaves - 1 sprigSalt to tasteFor garnish:Coconut oil - 1 tbsp.Shallots - 2-3; slicedCurry leaves - 1 sprig
- In a heated pan add coconut oil; then the cloves, cinnamon, star anise, green chilies, onion and ginger, sauté till the onion starts to turn golden. Add 1 sprig of the curry leaves.
- Add the thin coconut milk (2nd); then the meat, potatoes, crushed peppercorns and salt. Pressure cook these for about 6 whistles or till the mutton and potatoes are cooked.
- Once this is done, do a taste test for salt and spice, do any adjustments if required as per your taste. Do not add more salt after this stage, as you'd be adding the thick coconut milk after this, and ideally salt should be added before thick coconut milk is added to any gravy, else it tends to spoil the texture of the gravy.
- Let it simmer for a while till the gravy starts to thicken. Now add the thick coconut milk (1st ). Cook for 5 more minutes and remove from heat.
- Garnish with sliced shallots and some curry leaves fried well in the coconut oil.
- Stew's ready. Serve hot!
- This stew tastes the best with freshly baked Bread, Vellayappam, Kallappam, Vattayappam and Ghee rice.