Chicken 1 kg cut into small pieces
Dry red chillis 2 handfuls, roughly crushed (Don't use the store bought one, freshly crushed one's are always a better option)
Onion 2, cubed
Tomato 3, cubed
Garlic ½ a pod, cut each clove in half lengthwise
Chilly powder 2 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tbsp
Turmeric ½ tsp
Salt to taste
Coconut oil 3-4 tbsp
Juice of 1 lime
Mustard ½ tsp
Curry leaves 3-4 sprigs
- Heat oil, sputter mustard. Add the crushed red chillis (you can crush by using the pulse option in the mixer a couple of rounds). Immediately add the onions and curry leaves. Fry till the onion becomes transparent.
- Now add the tomatoes and fry till the oil separates and the tomatoes are mashed.
- Then add the spice powders & salt and fry some more.
- Add the chicken pieces; mix in well till the masala is well coated on the pieces. Don’t add additional water as it will be released from the chicken itself.
- Add the garlic and the lime juice. Close lid. Cook in medium heat. Stir every 3-4 minutes.
- Keep frying till all the gravy dries out and the chicken starts to get a golden brown coating.
- Serve hot preferably… with anything that you want… this is a great side for a drinks session too ;-)